Monday, February 06, 2006

Courage To Tell The Truth.


The followin' story touched me deeply... 'n' as you read it you 'll surely know why. I thought it was worthy of sharin' with you... so here it is as written by Tricia who lives in Chicago. A Jewish woman who loves me like I'm her own son, she lost her son in car accident 'n' she says that she finds her son in me. Now she is in Hospital 'n' needs our Prayers.


The Courage To Tell The Truth....

" When I was seventeen in the late 1960s, my mother was stricken with colon cancer. She was given six months to live, so she asked my father for one thing, that we would all start going to Shoul until the end.

Shortly after her diagnosis, she asked to Rabi if she could be anointed with holy water and prayer. She did not ask to be completely healed, only that she be given life long enough to see that all her children were safely on their own road to life.

She became ill for the last time when my baby sister (who was eleven at the time mother was afflicted with cancer) graduated from high school. Seven *years* after her diagnosis.

While she was hospitalized, I watched her mental condition deteriorate to the point that she began to get confused. Her kidneys were shutting down, so her blood chemistry was completely out of whack. Tumors had been found in her brain.

Several days after she was admitted, I arrived for my daily visit only to have her question me angrily about not telling her the "real" reason she was in the hospital. She went on to explain that she was really in the hospital for her nerves, not because of her terminal condition.

I didn't know what to do. I was twenty-four at the time, and had never dealt with someone dying of disease. I was paralyzed by indecision and fear.

In the midst of all this turmoil, my brother arrived for a visit. I watched my mother start to tell him the same thing she had told me. My heart was pounding as I wondered how he would deal with her confusion.

Calmly, he pulled a chair near her bed and took her hand. As he held it gently in his, he spoke softly, "Mother, you know you will not be leaving this hospital alive."

Tears welled up in my eyes, nearly blinding me, as my mother covered his hands with her own, and in a moment of lucidity, she whispered, "I know." I stayed long enough to watch the two of them face her frightening future together.

They spoke of death as an inevitability, instead of some far off enemy. He didn't know it at the time, but he was giving Mother permission to stop the war against her disease.

She went into a coma that night, and two days later she died.

I've never forgotten the courage I saw my brother summon that night. He had taken a difficult walk with my mother from her state of denial, to the peace of acceptance.

That moment has been a life lesson for me. It has helped me to face my own mortality and the mortality of people I've known who've died since then. Perhaps my brother thinks what he did that day was nothing special. It was. Sometimes truth isn't pretty or pleasant, but it can set us free. "

Though I told her somethin' from my Faith that "never let the Hope go" she liked this fact about my Faith of Hope. She asked me to Pray for her, I want all of you to Pray for her 'n' I hope you all 're doin' good.

God bless all....

15 Comments:

At February 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When, you didnt tell that she is hospital. Tell me details ok! I talked to her only once and I know she is a great woman.

 
At February 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i will pray for her, you never told me about her, i can understand the pain, when somebody close is in hospital, i had that pain,

 
At February 06, 2006, Blogger j said...

what a beautiful story. the truth really does set you free.

 
At February 07, 2006, Blogger meshwork said...

Oh that was a sad post.. but I could never have the courage that man had,that was brave..
and I've been just busy with stuff..thats why the long absence

 
At February 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

as I read this my eyes welled up with tears it. Take care of your friend she will be prayed for.

 
At February 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prayers have gone up in the form of a warm and gentle embrace.

Love & Peace to you and your dear friend, Mr. K.

God bless you.
God bless us all.

 
At February 07, 2006, Blogger still_figuring_out said...

letting go is sometimes the hardest thing we could do. it sure takes courage. thanks for sharing this story with us.

 
At February 07, 2006, Blogger Sam!! said...

Prayers for her health.

Well wat i learned from the story is that the son keep aside his own concerns n love for his mother n just want her to b free from the pain she was passing through. Its very true that we all want our love ones to b alive n close to us no matter how much pain they're passing through, we keep on praying to God to keep them alive for us ignoring their pains. I think with this prayer we shud ask n pray God to do watever is better for them.

Besides all main thing is that life n death is in Allah's hands, He knows better wat He have to do.

Prayers,
samrina

 
At February 07, 2006, Blogger Mr. Khurram said...

STEPH _ I know you 've been visitin' her, I just called her 'n' she is felin' alittle better. She told me about you.

SHAZIA _ She is in Hospital for last (3)three days. I'm sorry I couldn't tell you. You 're right, she is a great woman.

STACY _ well, you don't know her but Maria met her once in NY coz she was visitin' there. I think you were not in NY those days, yeh you were in LA. Anyway she lives in Chicago 'n' she is really like Mother to me.

QUEEN _ Thankyou for your wishes. My Dear! it's only your Attitude that makes you Best or worst. My Attitude is same as God wants it to be. *Smiles*

JOEY _ It's a ral story my Dear! that woman was Tricia's mother 'n' now Tricia is in Hospital. You 're right though, Truth does set everyone Free.

MEHWISH _ Thankyou for the comments. You 're right, it's really a Brave thing to do. Yeah, I was thinkin' that you mut 've been busy. Hope you 're doin' good.

BLONDE BRUNTEE _ You do 've a lovin' heart. Thankyou for your Prayers, You 're also part of Prayers here. *Hugs*

SHELLEIGH _ my Sweet friend! thankyou for all your Prayers 'n' warm Embrace touch. She is really like Mother to me 'n' these Prayers 'll reach her from her son's Sweet friends.

STILL FIGURIN' OUT _ Thankyou Dear, You 're right though that it's the Hardest thing to do. I believe in Hope 'n' Truth both. Hope you 're not tired anymore.

GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU.....

 
At February 07, 2006, Blogger Mr. Khurram said...

SAMRINA _ You said it in Best way, I feel same about this subject. I believe that Truth houldn't be hidden 'n' after knwoin' the Truth people shouldn't let their Hope go. TRUTH 'n' HOPE both 're part of FAITH. Thankyou for the Prayers for the woman who is like Mother to me. *Smiles*

God bless you......

 
At February 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how is your friend??? I hope that she is doing well.

 
At February 08, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Touching entry. Thanks for sharing such an emotional story. All prayers and thoughts your way!!

 
At February 08, 2006, Blogger Mr. Khurram said...

JESSICA _ Thankyou for all your Prayers.

BLONDE BRUNTEE _ Thankyou for your concerns my Dear! She is doin' better now.

LISA _ Thankyou for your Sweet words Dear. Your Prayers 're so comfortin'.

KATE _ Thankyou, Thankyou for all your emails.

GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU.....

 
At February 08, 2006, Blogger BMABWY said...

Hey Champ...This is John...You may have seen me comment at Pie Shell's
site. I want you to know something buddy. You are a sweet sweet man. If you were near me I would Hug you like a brother!! I cannot speak for Shell but knowing her I have to believe Shell is not upset about us writing about politics. She just does not her site to become a political arena. I can understand that. I am sure you can as well. Rest assured, Shell's kind heart loves you gently.

 
At February 14, 2006, Blogger Human said...

A very powerful message.
You sound like you had a good foundation that many people help build.
Peace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home